27 January 2011

sNOw! and a taste of reality

I spent 7.5 hours last night in a commute that typically takes 30 minutes. All that time in a car gives you lots of time to think. Mostly, I was thinking that any car that wasn't a truck or an SUV had NOOOOOO business being out on the road. They were spinning out, couldn't make it up the smallest of hills.

But the underlying thoughts running through my mind were, what if this were really an emergency? It was mass chaos, gridlocked and unpredictable. This was just a heavy snow fall. There was no way out of where I was. I didn't panic, but this area is completely ill-equipped to handle real emergency situations. Makes you think a lot of how you can get out of a bad situation. You need a plan. A survival plan.

I realized that I would never be without an SUV again, at least as long as I live here. That's a sad thought to me because I always wanted a convertible. :( That vehicle was the only reason I got home. I was able to drive through a blizzard only because of it.

Cars were abandoned everywhere. I can't even imagine abandoning my car. I was crazy, depressed and frightened...and it was only a snowstorm.

1 comment:

  1. I felt rage from this snow event, or more appropriately from those that drove so carefully that they hindered their ability to reach their destination. This didn't matter what vehicle was being driven either- remember this region is known for flipping dump-truck sized snow plows.

    ReplyDelete